Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 27 March 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Anti-Intellectualism and the “Dumbing Down” of AmericaThere is a growing and disturbing trend of anti-intellectual elitism in American culture. It’s the dismissal of science, the arts, and humanities and their replacement by entertainment, self-righteousness, ignorance, and deliberate gullibility.
- 5 Hugely Profitable Multiplatform Sponsorship Advertising Models
Multiplatform publishers can generate revenue from users, from sponsors, or both. Consumer-focused portals that are sponsorship-based ask users to pay – not with money, but with time and information. They spend time viewing web pages and signing up for email feeds, thus creating advertising inventory that can be used to sell the publisher’s products (internal advertising) and/or sold to third-party sponsors (external advertising) on a CPM, CPC, CPA, or SEA basis.
There are five unique ways a publisher makes money through sponsorship advertising, although they’re sometimes mixed and matched:
- 5 Overlooked Tax Deductions for Small-Business OwnersFailing to claim all the tax deductions you’re entitled to is like flushing money down the toilet. As small-business owners prepare their taxes this year, it’s important they don’t miss any of these most commonly overlooked tax deductions, to avoid paying more money to Uncle Sam than necessary.
- CNN Adopts Adobe Anywhere
- Amazon Announces Unlimited Cloud Photo Storage for Just $1 Per MonthThe new Unlimited Everything and Unlimited Photos plans sets a new bar of affordability in the data storage space. Dropbox, Microsoft, and Google currently only offer 1TB of space for $99, $84, and $100 per year, respectively. Amazon is now removing t…
- 15 RSS feeds EVERY freelancer needs to be subscribed toNot all websites are created equal. Some are more important for your business than others and today I want to showcase some websites that I believe are mustTags: Freelance freelancing freelancer
- 5 Golden Tips for Creating Fullscreen Website BackgroundsBig is beautiful. But before you go fullscreen, you better go over these web design tips.
But in order to reach the right effect with a fullscreen background, you’ll need to do more than just upload a nice photo. In fact, if you don’t pay attention to a few important guidelines, your fullscreen background may end up causing you some full-blown trouble.
- The Surprising Benefits (and Pitfalls) of Being a “Jack of All Trades”People look down on the multitalented--even the phrase “Jack of all trades, master of none” has a bit of a negative caveat. But there are a lot hidden perks that come with being a Jack. These are the best reasons you might want to reconsider the notio…
- How To Create Your Own Extensions For Your iPhone & iPadWant to create your own iOS extensions? Meet Workflow ($1.99), a productivity app that opens many of the platform’s previously closed doors.Tags: iOS
- Find a Ton of Beautiful Free Stock Photos on This Site
- 11 Ways I’ve Made Money in the Last 8 Years, From Illustrator to Consultant