Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 27 October 2014
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Virtual Meetings Will Erase Face to Face – BusinessWeekForget hauling your briefcase on a no-frills airline flight to attend a stuffy convention. Online events are the best, most cost-effective places to exchange information and meet and greet. Pro or con?
- 5 Guidelines for Approaching Book Review Bloggers
If you follow these guidelines, you’ll increase both your chances of a review and your chances of a good review.
- 20 Artists Who Took Art To The Next Level
Where there is an idea, there is a way to express it – at least when it comes to art. Artists can come in many forms disguised as your regular barista who can make amazing latte art, 2D and even 3D, digital artists who make stunning QR codes that jump out at you, or very patient people who make amazing origami strucures from paper or dollar bills.
- 5 best motion graphics plugins for After EffectsEnhance your motion graphics work with these handy plugins for Adobe After Effects.
- Self-Publishing for Graphic Novelists
Previously, we’ve reported on a number of automated publishing platforms now available for self-publishing authors. From the top players in the space such as Kindle Direct Publishing (KDP) Apple’s iBooks and Smashwords – to the smaller collaborative offerings that include such start-ups as Widbook and FastPencil, today an indie author has a lot to choose from. But what about those who’d like create a graphic novel or comics, where commercial art, cartoons and illustrations are as important as the written word. What options does the graphic novelist have?
- 12 HTML5 Tricks for MobileUnknown to many web designers and developers, there are several hacks to improve the mobile experience. Maximiliano Firtman talks through his top tips.
- Adobe releases Digital Editions 4 software update to address data privacy concernsUpdate brings software up to version 4.0.1 as company reiterates that Adobe did not transmit or store user ID or device ID in clear text
- How to Fix OS X Yosemite’s Biggest AnnoyancesYosemite’s here today and as seems to always be the case with Apple’s new operating systems, it comes with a handful of annoyances alongside its new features. Don’t worry though, most of the common annoyances can get fixed up with a few clicks.…
- Web Design Trends: How To Decide What Works
Designers love to complain about “superficial” design trends that they don’t feel have any staying power or contribute anything meaningful to the industry. But are they right?
- 5 tips for designing an app that stands outUsing Swipes as a case study, Stefan Vladimirov offers 5 expert tips on app design.
- 7 Free Government Programs That Can Help You Start A Business, by Undisputed Expert in Finding Gov. Money, Matthew LeskoHowever, there are government agencies and non-profit organizations that actually provide free money and business services yet they do not have advertising funding to get their websites to rank well in search engines and, in many cases, it is i…
- 7 tips for catapulting your craft into the design stratosphereSenior Aardman designer Gavin Strange, aka JamFactory, explains what can happen if you dare to dream big.