Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 31 March 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- 10+ No-Signup Collaboration Tools You Can Use in 10 SecondsCollaborating online can save you and your team both time and money. Collaborating quickly can save a bit more. These tools are ready to go when you are. No registration required.Tags: Collaboration
- Demystifying Creative Commons Licenses
Being content creators, copyrights are very important to us at Design Instruct. We thought we’d do a little research on the Creative Commons licenses to get a clearer picture on how to use each of the Creative Commons licenses. Here’s what we’ve learned so far.
- Ten Reasons People Still Need CursiveWhile some argue cursive writing belongs in the archives and Common Core ushers it out of schools, the evidence shows we need it as much as ever.
- Silly, Google. Microsoft Owns the Office, On All Platforms–Now Free for AndroidMicrosoft has released Word, Excel and Powerpoint for Android Tablets for free! Come see what that means for you.Tags: Office Microsoft Google
- Adobe Wants To Kill Your DesktopThis year, Adobe will launch multitasking tools on mobile that might enable you to work faster than you would on a desktop.Tags: Adobe CC mobile design
- How to Track AdBlock Users to your Website with Google Analytics
Adblocking software like AdBlock Plus have become mainstream and now pose a significant threat to web businesses that are dependent on online advertisements. The problem is so severe that Google and Amazon are paying the writers of AdBlock Plus to whitelist their ads. This may be seen as some kind ofextortion but with billions of dollars at stake, the advertising companies have chosen to take the more profitable route.
- Meet Adobe Comp CC, an iPad app that lets designers execute a complete layout on-the-goIf you’re a designer, and have the motive or opportunity to create a usable comp from start to finish on-the-go, you are in luck. Adobe has launched Comp CC, a new iPad app that lets designers work with their Creative Cloud account to quickly fashion a usable comp — complete with the same assets you would use in the final version.
- How to Compete With Cheap Freelancing Sites When You’re a ProfessionalThanks to online talent platforms like Fiverr, it’s now easier than ever to outsource work. For less than twenty bucks, you can find a writer, designer or editor. It’s convenient if you’re hiring, but it’s frustrating for workers who earn their living…
- A new $pin on podcast subscriptionsEnter subscription-based crowdfunding, which is based on the centuries-old tradition of artistic benefactors. Translate that idea to the Internet age, and you get micro-subscriptions for crowds.Tags: Podcast revenuemodels
- Hand-Drawn Lettering and Typography by Amazing ArtistsHand-drawn lettering designs are some of our most favorite work done by creatives. It takes a great deal of patience and skill to really pull it off.Tags: typography
- Coloring Books for Adults. Grown-Ups Get Out Their CrayonsJohanna Basford, a Scottish illustrator, has sold more than 1.4 million copies of her coloring book for adults, “Secret Garden.” Such books are being marketed as a creative, meditative pastime.CreditLaurence King Publishing