Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 6 August 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- 7 Secrets About Editors Every Freelance Writer Should Know
Editors – most of them anyway – are trying to do their jobs and looking for people who can help them do that. One of them could be you.
Many editors worked as writers before trading places. A lot still do both. I fall into that category. Since 2009, I’ve worked as the freelance editor for a corporate finance website and on a blog series. I’ve edited whitepapers and helped train, manage and edit other freelancers for an employment news startup.
Based on my experience on the other side of the desk, here are some secrets about editors that freelance writers should know:
- Do you need a sidebar on your blog?Does your blog need a sidebar? Should the sidebar be on the left or right? Here we analyze what will work best for you.Tags: WordPress
- 10 Of The Best Tools For Creating InfographicsThe history of this visual science (or art) and tells us that infographics is by no means an invention of the digital culture. The only difference between then and now is the amount of information we are swamped with. Infographics gives us a tool to c…
- Why we need to be worried about the next generation of designersIs a lack of funding affecting our valuable problem-solving skills?Tags: HigherEd Business Design
- Why Hiring An Editor For Your Self-Published Book Is Unavoidable
Over the past few years, I’ve read quite a few self-published books. Most of the books have been wonderful and I thoroughly enjoyed them. Yet some have been painful to read. Others have been good, but could have been great with the assistance of an experienced editor. Too many self-published authors don’t think readers can tell if their novel hasn’t been professionally edited. Trust me, most of us can. As for authors who skip utilizing beta readers and critique partners, that shows as well.
- Leave Freelance Writing for a Full-Time Job?Should you leave freelance writing for a full-time job? This post examines monetary questions as well as questions of freedom, family, and happiness.Tags: Writing AmWriting copywriting
- How To Write A Book That’s Painful To Write!This post will share how to write a book that’s painful to write. If you’re writing a self help, memoir, or biography, this post will help!Tags: Writing AmWriting selfpub epub
- 3 Questions to Ask When Writing a Non-Fiction Book ProposalThe nonfiction book proposal is a unique creature. It’s an essential package that you must create to attract the attention of publishers and “sell” them on your book, but most writers balk at the thought of spending weeks and even months developing and honing it.
- Pay-What-You-Want Pricing for Self-Published eBooks
Pay What You Want pricing can work – or not. The difference lies in the execution. (Writing really good stuff is a given.)
Here’s a 6-step framework you can use to apply PWYW pricing to your work to start leveraging the upside of your fanatical readership.
- How To Run The Best Virtual Meeting Ever
My colleague Ken Perlman shares his tricks for running incredibly effective and enjoyable meetings – from 3,000 miles away.
- How To Finish Your Damn BookIt’s all well and good for me to tell you why you should finish your book (nutshell: a finished book is the one thing everyone who ever got published/successfully self-published has in common) but how do you do it? How do you overcome procrastination? How do you finish your damn book?
- How many design options do you give your clients?“I’m at a point in my design practice where I don’t want to waste time presenting more than one logo proposal. I feel confident enough to say that after weeks of working on a logo and applying a carefully tested method I don’t need to present two or three proposals. Instead I can fine tune the one I’m working on. Do you present your clients with more than one option?”
- Your Book As Your Business CardOne of best ways to gain authority as a business owner or expert is by publishing a book.Not only is your book an asset to your business, it can do far more for you in the reputation department than just about anything else.Tags: Wri…
- Explaining graphic design to four-year-olds50 minutes to explain graphic design to a reception class at a primary school. How do I do that?
- A Freelancer’s Guide to Dealing With IllnessAs a freelancer, on the other hand, the consequences can be dire. Even a quick cold or flu that knocks you out for a couple of days could have a huge impact on your business. You could easily find yourself missing deadlines, possibly forfeiting your p…
- 20 Gorgeous Next-Level Personal Portfolios To Inspire YouThe portfolios we included in this list belong to some truly talented and unique designers, artists, and photographers who really have really upped their online portfolio game. Not only are their portfolios full of amazing work, they are also presente…
- Graphic Design 101: The designer’s guide to Gestalt TheoryUtilising the Gestalt principles can make designs more coherent, connected or unified – this guide explains how.
- The Complete Guide To Evernote NotebooksThe bottom line is neither strategy is wrong; however, you need to know everything about Notebooks and Tags before you can properly decide. Below is everything you need to know about Evernote Notebooks.Tags: Evernote
- Promote Yourself AND Another Author with a Social Media SwapWhen you are trying to build an author brand and market a book, it’s important to keep in mind you’re not the only one trying to build an author brand and market a book. Reach out to your fellow authors and make a proposal that could help you both.Tag…
- 10 Websites for Finding Free Photoshop TexturesTextures are crucial in everything from graphic design to web design, from poster art to architectural visualizations, from 3D animations to computer games. Here’s where you can find some free textures to use!Tags: Free Freebie Freebies Photoshop
- LinkedIn changed an important feature — and its users aren’t happyLinkedIn has removed the ability to easily export contacts, and its users aren’t happy with it.Tags: LinkedIn
- 5 Ways to Punch Fear in the Face as a FreelancerAre you more afraid of succeeding or failing? Many freelancers are afraid of both. Use these 5 ways to punch fear in the face and do it anyway!Tags: Entrepreneur Freelance