Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 6 October 2015
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- David Meerman Scott on the New Rules of Writing (and Profiting From) Great BooksIn this episode of Authorpreneur, host Jim Kukral and David Meerman Scott discuss how David’s writing drives his speaking business, and more …Tags: Writing AmWriting selfpub marketing
- Amazon to screw, I mean pay self-published Kindle authors only for pages read.Amazon’s new system will cut the royalties for self-published authors who fail
to hold a reader’s attention until the final page
- What Writers Should Do Right After PublicationAfter you publish any short piece, consider taking steps in two main categories. I do these myself and think of them, broadly, as “external” and “internal.”
- Printing with Real wood typeThe recent release of FF Real™, designed by Erik Spiekermann andRalph du Carrois, marks the first time a digital typeface immediately became available as wood type as well. In a collaborative project Spiekermann’s letterpress gallery P98a andFontFont printed a limited edition specimen poster in two colors with the first font of original FF Real wood type.
- Women’s Voices in Type, On- and OffstageWhat followed was a discussion on sexism in the industry. In 140-character increments, the conversation covered lots of ground — and yet it only scratched the surface.
- How Shake Shack Made a 70-Year-Old Font Hot AgainFrom Shake Shack to Washington D.C., Neutra is popping up everywhere.
- Seeking Typographic Superheroes to Fight Type CrimeTypeEd Rag Right | Today kicks off #TypeCrime month! We’re challenging you to find type crimes and expose them to the world. Expose the injustice towards the readers everywhere!
- Watch: Fascinating Video Shows What A Type Designer Can Do In An HourThis recently released video by type designer Diana Ovezea provides a rare glimpse at the workflow of a type designer, specifically showing what he or she can do in an hour of their workday.
- Resources for creating a typeface
First of all don’t expect to create high quality professional fonts right from the start — it will take time and practice. But, if you’re simply looking to create a custom font or would like to try your hand these resources will certainly help you get the job done, so here are some tools, books and articles related to typography I thought might be useful for beginners.
- Freelancers, Are You Prepared for the Worst?
But the good times don’t always last. In the future I may get sick, I may be in an accident, I may be unable to work, or I may face financial crisis. All of these things could happen years from now or hours from now, or perhaps, if I’m lucky, never. But one thing’s certain: one day I’ll die, and so will you.