Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 7 January 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- How the Super-Secret Apple Industrial Design Group WorksHere’s everything you need to know about Apple’s secretive Industrial Design group, the brains behind the company’s revolutionary products.
- Publisher Accepting Unagented SciFi, Fantasy, Horror Novel Submissions This MonthGot an unpublished science fiction, fantasy or horror novel? UK genre publisher Gollancz will be accepting un-agented submissions throughout January!Tags: Amwriting selfpub
- 2015: Apple’s year in betaEVERY NEW APPLE PRODUCT OR FEATURE RELEASED IN 2015 WAS ESSENTIALLY IN BETATags: iOS AppleTV watchos pencil iPadPro
- The Proper Way to Automate Your Social Media Activities (and 5 Other Best Practices)Automating some of your social media content may be beneficial for both you and your audience, but follow these six tips when you determine your strategy.Tags: socialmedia
- Easily Increase Your Ecommerce Conversion Rate With Up-Selling, Cross-Selling, And Down-Selling
So, how exactly do you get more users to make purchases? In this article, I’ll present some easy tips for increasing your eCommerce conversion rate using the up-selling, cross-selling, and down-selling methods.
- Wacom’s Digitizing Notebook Can Finally Convert Handwriting To TextIf you’re hesitant to give up pen and paper for all your note-taking needs, Wacom’s Bamboo Spark digitizing notebook has added another good reason to avoid a touchscreen stylus for a little while longer: handwriting to text conversion.
- What Are the Real Merits of Material Design?
Designers are using the design philosophy in a number of ways — especially the concept of layered interfaces. Just as the name suggests, layering involves stacking multiple elements, like a deck of cards, to create a single, unified experience that is both functional and aesthetically pleasing.
- Designers generate £71.7bn for the UK EconomyNew report from the Design Council provides evidence of design creating thousands of jobs and boosting the British economy significantly.Tags: Design Business
- 12 Strategies for Creating a Webinar That Wows CrowdsA webinar can help you reach a vast audience and grow your business. Here are some best practices for creating and delivering a webinar that hits all the right marks.
- 10 Online Collaboration Tools Perfect for Visual JobsVisual collaboration is for everyone. Online collaboration tools are no longer reserved for programmers and designers. We present ten online tools and show you how to use them for everyday activities.
- The Method Actor Approach to DesignMichael Bierut on immersing yourself in your client’s challenges.Tags: Design Business
- Against EditorsIn the writing world, there is a hierarchy. The writers are on the bottom. Above them are editors, who tell the writers what to change. This is backwards. How many good writers has Big Edit destroyed?Tags: Writing amwriting amediting journalism
- Three Simple Ways You Can Make Remote Workers Feel IncludedFor many managers, communicating with their team is one of the trickiest parts of management. Once you add distance, a different time zone and a cultural barrier, the problem becomes even more difficult.Tags: Entrepreneur Leadership
- Books and newspapers will do just fine in 2016. Magazines? Not so much.The reign of the consumer magazine—glossy, beautiful, and once a ubiquitous presence atop living room coffee tables around the world—seems to be quietly crumbling. Print books are making something of a comeback right now, thanks in part to the rise of coloring books and a swelling public interest in children’s literature. Newspapers, catering to hyper-local communities, are faring pretty well, too. In…
- 9 Twitter Marketing Ideas that Drive More Traffic to Your WebsiteHowever, many business owners are stuck when it comes to figuring out how to entice clicks without being spammy or self-promotional. This post will offer 9 Twitter marketing ideas that will drive more traffic to your website, while also offering true …
- Biggest Book Trends: Print Is Back, and Everyone’s Reading Science FictionRumors of the death of the print book were massively exaggerated, it turns out. According to the L.A. Times, 571 million print books were sold in 2015, 17 million more than in 2014. And ebooks, which had been forecast to hit 50 to 60 percent of book s…
- The Ins and Outs of Summarizing Comments in Acrobat DCBut then, comes the inevitable question: “How do I print out the document along with the comments?” While my client and I can see the comments just fine right within Acrobat, the backstory is that someone at his office (the boss) wants the hardcopy of the document, complete with comments.
- Why People Matter to a CFO
In a Forbes survey of 178 chief executives from high-performing companies earlier this year, nearly 75 percent of the executives predicted that the CFO’s role will grow in importance more than any other C-suite position.
- Cards! Cards Everywhere! Are Cards in Web Design the Future?
As a web designer, you probably find yourself in one of two camps:
- - You’re either loving it that cards are becoming more and more significant as a design style,
- - or you’re totally hating it … feeling that being creative in this landscape is becoming more difficult by the hour.
- Best-Practice Font Tips for Effective Website Design and More Readable ContentSerifs, sizes, and spacing, oh my! Font tips for every effective website design.Tags: WebDesign
- This Viral List About 1915 Is Full of LiesA list of fun facts about the year 1915 has gone viral. But many items on the list are false or misleading. As we’ve seen time and again, never trust the internet for your fun facts. It’s all lies.