Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 9 March 2016
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- Husband’s Illustrations For Wife Capture Love At Its Simplest
- These Pun-Heavy Posters About Graphic Design Will Make Creatives Chuckle (or Groan) | AdweekSara Heffernen’s “Graphic Design Pun Cards” make gentle sport of designers’ compulsive, perfectionist tendencies, while being dad-jokey enough to elicit groans from the rest of us.Tags: Design
- 21 Women Disrupting TechHappy International Women’s Day. This year, the theme is “Pledge For Parity,” meaning committing to achieving equality around status and pay. Last year, the..
- 5 Tips to Make Your Design Portfolio Stand Out in 2016
- Video Breaks Down Color Theory Into Fun, Bite-Sized Pieces Of Information
- Peeple Launches Today. Here’s Its Plan to Profit from Harassment
When news of Peeple, the so-called “Yelp for people” that lets you rate anyone you know like a restaurant, swept the web last year, I was horrified. A tool that lets my abusive ex-boyfriend write whatever he wants about me and post it for the Internet to see? A tool that lets anyone with my cell phone number start my profile on the website without my consent? A tool that sends notifications to my phone without my permission, theoretically allowing my ex to override my block of his number?
- 10 Best Grammar Resources for Aspiring WritersThere are plenty of resources that can help them make fewer mistakes and catch the ones that do find their way into their writing. For aspiring writers who need tips about grammar, here are ten of the best places to look for them.Tags: Writing AmWriti…
- The new mind control. Subtle Internet influence can flip elections, manipulate what we say, think, doThe Internet Has Spawned Subtle Forms of Influence That Can Flip Elections and Manipulate Everything We Say, Think and Do
- 7 More Things You Didn’t Know Adobe Illustrator Could Do7 More Things You Didn’t Know Adobe Illustrator Could DoTags: Vector Illustrator
- Learn How to Make Your Writing Funnier With This Video LessonWhether you want to tell stories, write a killer speech, or just make your business memos a little less humdrum, humor is one of the best ways to engage an audience. This video lesson gives you some practical tips you can apply to your writing to make…
- How Creatives Can Improve Their Relationship With Marketers
- Nothing Snowballs Online Like FearHow online fear feeds political smear campaigns, stock market rumors, and ISIS propaganda.
- Nobody Knows Anything
- How to Draw and Paint: 95 Pro Tips and TutorialsThese drawing tutorials and tips resources from top artists will help everyone from novice to pro.Tags: ampainting amdrawing
- 4 Times You MUST Communicate With Your Freelance Writing Clients
- Illustrator Tutorial: Create the Wicked Witch of the West“I’ll Get You My Pretty” has taken on a whole new meaning in this tutorial. The Wicked Witch of the West now dons a stylish collection of haute couture clothing to be rivaled only by her fabulously evil attitude. Join me in a maddening ride through fo…
- 7 Tools for Building Online Portfolios Quickly and Easily
What these tools have in common are simplicity of use, affordability, innovative and time-saving functionalities. You will not be burdened by a host of features you have little or no use for. Some on the list are oriented towards portfolio building, but with the right tools, the sky’s the limit.
- Awesome Steampunk Photo Manipulations and Photo-Realistic IllustrationsThere are many, many fans of steampunk style which is a large subgenre of science fiction and fantasy. These images have been inspired by technology and aesthetic designs from the 19th-century industrial steam-powered machinery ~ set in an Art Nouveau…
- What’s Next in Computing?Tech product cycles are mutually reinforcing interactions between platforms and applications. New platforms enable new applications, which in turn make the new platforms more valuable, creating a positive feedback loop. Smaller, offshoot tech cycles happen all the time, but every once in a while — historically, about every 10 to 15 years — major new cycles begin that completely reshape the computing landscape.
- How to Write a MetaFiction Picture Book
- Graphic Translates Web Design Feedback into Plain EnglishWe’ve all heard stories of people who look at a website mockup and say something like “It needs more pop!” or “Make it sleeker,” without being specific about what they’re looking for. It can be a pain, but this tongue-firmly-in-cheek graphic translate…
- 10 Hidden Microsoft Word Features That Will Make Your Life EasierYou are fine as long as you fire up a document and just type. But billions of Redmond dollars went into making this the office Swiss knife it is today. Many of those greenbacks helped create the hidden productive features that we rarely use. Here are …
- Best-Selling Sci-Fi Authors Launch New Book Discovery Platform
- 3 Types of Capitalization Errors in Styling QuotationsConfusion sometimes ensues when writers are deciding whether a quotation merits capitalization. Here are three ways capitalization errors can result.Tags: Writing AmWriting copywriting
- Self-Made Millionaire: Only 5 Ways to Get RichBeing rich is more of a state of mind than a dollar amount. Truthfully, the rich can be poor and the poor can be rich. If you’re looking to have it all in life, here are the only five ways you can become rich:
- 28 Tips, Tricks, and Hacks for Adobe Photoshop CC28 great features, tricks, hacks, and more of Adobe Photoshop CC 2015. Some are simple, some are difficult, some are well known, and some are more like Easter eggs.Tags: Photoshop
- Designer Heartbreak: Stories Of Jealousy, Clients Lost, And Unrequited LoveDesigners share stories of professional heartache. “I’m still waiting for NASA to give us a call.“Tags: Design
- The Quick & Dirty Guide to Personal WikisWhether you want to manage personal information, use it as a freelance web-worker, or to manage your corporate work, this article will introduce you to a few of the options out there and kickstart you with some ideas for getting productive using your …
- 6 Times Authors Broke the RulesRules are made to be broken; grammar rules are no exception. The argument for breaking grammar rules is that you can enhance the intensity, voice, and style of your writing by ignoring them, whereas policing yourself about grammar can feel like steppi…
- Working at Work Is a Thing of the Pastthe bored-at-work crowd owes its scale to the smartphone