Today in Design - Top Articles RoundUp 15 March 2019
The day’s best and most important design- and design business-focused articles, tutorials, and resources hand-picked by Pariah Burke.
- How to Transition from Freelance Work to a Full Time Position
- New Free Photoshop Panel Makes Layer Tidy-Up Easy as a Click
“The panel is free download from Adobe Exchange, or you can get it directly from the developer’s site, Photoshoplr, for the cost of a tweet.”
- 25 Common Phrases That You’re Saying Wrong
“Here’s my list of common phrases that you might be saying incorrectly. Don’t be embarrassed if you notice you use the incorrect phrase; we all do it.
The phrases on the left are incorrect, the ones on the right are correct.”
- 4 Ways To Maximize Your Content’s Social Media Visibility
Businesses and marketing practitioners use content to inform their target audiences of the many benefits of using their product or service. Most companies allocate huge budgets creating content whether it be in the form of a written article or …
- 21 Signs You’re Dating A Designer
Buying gifts for them is stressful, and why did they have to ruin Arial for you?
- HOW TO: Speed up your website
With Google asking webmasters to deliver sites that are fast and functional, or suffer the de-ranking punishment, businesses should all be undertaking website testing to find out how their site measures up. If you know your site is not performi…
- 10 Questions to Ask Yourself When Testing a Business Idea | Entrepreneur.com
You’ve got a business idea you’re jazzed about, but aren’t sure if it’s feasible. What you need to do is test the concept to see how it stands up to a series of rigorous questions.
“You are always testing,” says Andre Marquis, Executive Direct…
- 3 Reasons Day Dreaming is Good for You and Your Work
Are your mental meanderings a must-have feature of your cranial life or a bug in your skull system?
Peter Killeen, the psychologist who explained to us the neurophysiological step-by-step to mental wandering, asked as much in a recent paper…
- Four Trends that’ll Affect In-house Designers’ Careers
” “The three words I would use to describe a successful future creative would be being agile, being curious and being aware,” says John Maeda, president, Rhode Island School of Design. In other words, be ready for and open to change.”
- Career Expecations For Graphic Designers [Video]
“Many people get the impression that all they have to do is what they were told in design school, or learn the latest Adobe applications, but there is more to it than that. Being a graphic designer means learning to work with others toward the …
- 5 Stories Behind User Interface Design #UI #UX
“As important as user interface design is to the industry, not every designer is well-versed in UI. So whether you’re experienced in user interface or you specialize in another area of design, we’ve compiled five unique user interfaces (UI) and…
- The Top 10 Lies of Entrepreneurs and Investors
From my experience listening to pitches, I’ve seen two sets of top 10 lies: one of entrepreneurs and one of investors and I wanted to share them with you so that you know what not to say and what not to believe.
- How Color Impacts Your Purchases [infographic]
“A lot of factors are taken into account when a company prepares to sell their items. Things like color, look, feel, and tone all come into play. Many times we don’t realize how significant the role of color plays when it comes to our purchases…
- Death To The Resume? How To Go Paperless And Score Jobs Socially
“WITH, WELL, THE INTERNET, WHO NEEDS A RESUME ANYMORE? HERE’S THE BEST WAY TO CREATE AN ONLINE PRESENCE THAT WILL HAVE EMPLOYERS COMING TO YOU--NOT THE OTHER WAY AROUND.”
- How to optimize a PDF file for SEO
“In this infographic, learn how to fine tune your PDF file so that search engines can digest the PDF content. Some of the steps in this infographic require the use of Acrobat Pro.”
- Write. Then Research.
“Instead of doing that, use a placeholder and mark where you needed to conduct research or find a specific word. Then, move past it, and continue writing as if that previous thought was complete. Journalist and science fiction author Cory Docto…
- 10 Paradoxical Traits Of Creative People
“CREATIVE PEOPLE ARE HUMBLE AND PROUD. CREATIVE PEOPLE TEND TO BE BOTH EXTROVERTED AND INTROVERTED. CREATIVE PEOPLE ARE REBELLIOUS AND CONSERVATIVE. HOW CREATIVE ARE YOU?”
- Tips for Graphic Designers
“Graphic Designing is a highly creative business where text, pictures and drawings need to be put aesthetically in advertisements, books, logos, brands, posters websites and magazines. While designing a website or web page in particular Graphic…
- Why Some People Have No Boundaries Online
“One is our boundary preferences: are we integrators or segmentors? If you’re an integrator, you like to build bridges between your professional and personal lives. Integrators strive to blend their jobs with their lives outside work—they’re ea…
- Beautiful, Photorealistic Still Life Illustrations Made With Just A Black Pen
“Using nothing more than a fine-tip black pen, she was able to create her beautiful drawings with a tedious dotting technique that requires the artist to be extremely meticulous and have a huge amount of patience. ”
- 12 Most Striking Tendencies of Creative People
Ever wonder what makes those wacky, creative types tick? How is it that some people seem to come up with all kinds of interesting, original work while the rest of us trudge along in our daily routines?
Creative people are different because they…
- Avoid Issues By Saving Your Artwork Properly In InDesign For Printing
“Adding bleeds from the start, BEFORE YOU EVEN START, is crucial. Think about it, you’re working on a 200+ page catalog and then you find out you have to go back and extend the bleed of every single object in every single page!! I really think …
- Your Personal Brand: Give Yourself An Audit
“If I said to you “what is the first thing you think about when I mention Donald Trump”, what would you say? Now do the same for Hugh Hefner? How about Miley Cyrus? Oprah?”
- 8 Keys To Creating An Emotional Connection Between Products And People
“Fifty percent of every buying decision is driven by emotion. Which, for anyone responsible for bringing a product to market, makes a recent Forrester Research survey a concern. It reported that 89% of the respondents felt no personal connectio…
- 6 Tricks for Instantly Looking Better in Photoshop [VIDEO]
“Everyone wants to have perfect profile picture, but we’ve all seen examples of Photoshopping gone wrong. If you’ve ever wanted to clear those blemishes or trim those 10 pounds the camera adds, but end up looking more like a distorted member of…
- An Updated Guide to Buying Stock Images –Top 10 Agencies
“Settling for the best source of royalty free images and media files may prove to be tricky if you’re not aware of all the available options. So if you’re a web designer, a blogger, or a writer for an online magazine, here’s a fresh list of the…
- How the Flat UI Design Style Affects Interface Text
“Wait, what? Can a design trend really influence the way we use text in an interface?
Yes, it can. We saw last week that design and content influence each other, and that includes pure design trends like the flat UI look that’s all the rage ri…
- The Pro’s Guide to Packaging Design
“Good product packaging design reinforces the brand’s DNA, says Design Packaging’s creative director Evelio Mattos – with the best work creating emotional responses in the process.”
- Principles of User Interface Design
““To design is much more than simply to assemble, to order, or even to edit; it is to add value and meaning, to illuminate, to simplify, to clarify, to modify, to dignify, to dramatize, to persuade, and perhaps even to amuse.” - Paul Rand”
- 12 Ways To Disappoint Your Design Clients
One of the most difficult parts of being a freelancer is dealing directly with your clients. If they are disappointed, it’s your fault completely. You don’t have a company or colleagues to fall back on to help you deal with clients. It’s all you…
- Communicating with Design Clients: 3 Profit Areas
“Every design business sells some kind of product, which earns money for the company. This revenue contributes to the ongoing operation of your business and the creation of profit. No revenue, no cash flow. No profit, no long-term stability for…
- Securing Your Notoriously Insecure Dropbox: 6 Steps To Take For Safer Cloud Storage
“If you use Dropbox, you may be in for some startling news. Despite the fact that Dropbox was the first to bring cloud storage to the masses, it’s widely accepted that Dropbox is no longer the best of its class. One big drawback is that the van…
- What Multitasking Does To Your Brain
HAVING 20 TABS OPEN ON YOUR LAPTOP WHILE SNAPCHATTING WITH YOUR BEST FRIEND, EATING A SANDWICH, AND LISTENING TO TAYLOR SWIFT IS OVERWHELMING. AND MAKES YOU MEAN.
- Why Confidence Is So Important (and How to Improve Yours)
““Have confidence!” is one of the most essential pieces of advice you’ll receive in life that makes no sense if you’ve never done it. You know what confident people look like, the advantages they get, and that it’s something worth emulating. Ho…
- The Designer’s Guide to Working for Nonprofits
“Want to help make the world a better place? Industry experts offer these top tips for working with nonprofits.”
- Freelance vs. Agency – Job Security, Added Hours and Other Considerations
“One of the most immediate decisions facing newly graduated designers is whether to work freelance or whether to apply to an agency – a problem that a lot will wrestle with throughout their career. Each time you jump from job to job, the niggli…
- 8 Ways to Evoke Positive Emotions in Visual Design
“Designers who work in branding have the oh-so-glorious job of trying to create designs that are not only easy to remember and relate to, but portray the brand concisely and accurately as well. Add to this the need to evoke the right emotions a…
- Designing For Disabilities: Section 508 and International Accessibility Compliance For Beginners
“Many graphic designers, web developers, or others in the technology and media industries will eventually come across a project that requires compliance with “Section 508″ or other accessibility standards. This term can be quite intimidating fo…
- 5 Best Printed Marketing Methods For Freelancers
“If you don’t know how to market yourself effectively, you’re going to have a tough time obtaining and maintaining clients; especially the type of clients that you need to actually make a success of your freelancing career, rather than the ones…
- Ten Strategies for Negotiating Success for Creatives
“A Virtuous Cycle is a series of events that result in a favorable outcome, over and over again…”
- Attract New Clients and Keep Existing Ones
In the design world, your relationship with clients is one of the easiest ways you could find to market yourself. No cost, no special effort, just making sure you treat the people who pay for your services more than walking work projects.
- 6 Career Tips from a Creative Manager
“Embarking upon your design career can be fairly daunting. So how should you go about it? Well who better to ask for advice than an actual creative manager; in this case George Burton from boohoo.com.
- How to Handle Price-Sensitive Design Clients
“Over the years, I’ve found that clients typically fall into two extremes when it comes to pricing: the “I don’t care” crowd, and price-sensitive clients. Of course, my favorites are the ones that don’t care about the price, but these are few an…
- 10 Cost-Effective Ways to Delight Your Design Clients
The design industry is highly competitive. There is always someone on your heels waiting to take the next job or to sweep a client out from under you. Being able to retain your clients is essential in this market, and repeat business will be th…
- 5 Fascinating Font Infographics
“While most people think about the aesthetic of their design, color choices, and functionality, few people think about the ability of typeface – on its own – to convey a message. Fonts make up words but they are communicators themselves, and th…
- Envisioning and Finding Your Dream Client
We all hear horror stories of nightmare clients that tread well outside the boundaries of written agreements, delay or refuse to pay for completed work, or worse. Assertive, unscrupulous, and disagreeable clients can ask the world of us for a p…
- How much to charge for design work?
Danny Outlaw suggests to ask yourself 10 Questions when pricing yourself:
- 8 Great Design Job Boards to Find Your Next Design Job or Gig by Pariah Burke #jobs #design
“Whether you’re looking for your next great full-time adventure, a part-time supplement, or great freelance projects, this place called the World Wide Web offers a number of great places to find creative work. Here are the best eight of those p…
- Top 10 FBI Behavioral Unit Techniques For Building Rapport With Anyone
“Robin Dreeke is head of the FBI’s Counterintelligence Behavioral Analysis Program.
In his book It’s Not All About “Me”: The Top Ten Techniques for Building Quick Rapport with Anyone he simply and clearly spells out methods for connecting with …
- 10 Proven Digital Marketing Ideas for Startups
“A new business needs all of the marketing help it can get. Using digital tools to enhance marketing strategies is an excellent way to get your new business recognized. Building a brand is the first step. Getting the brand, as well as your name…
- Creating Fixed-Layout eBooks (ePublishing with InDesign Series) #eprdctn
ePublishing with InDesign: Creating Fixed-Layout eBooks will teach you:
- Understanding Fixed-Layout eBooks
- Planning a Fixed-Layout eBook
- Creating Fixed-Layout in InDesign
- Adapting the HTML
- Editing the CSS
- Adding Advanced Features
- Are You More Creative Alone or with Others?
For some, creativity is a solitary endeavor. For others, nothing sparks the creative engine quite like the escalation of ideas you get with a group of people. Which are you?
- Don’t Allow This to be You. Top 5 Regrets People Express on Their Deathbeds
“When questioned about any regrets they had or anything they would do differently, common themes surfaced again and again. Here are the most common five:”
- The Ideal Bookshelf for Designers
“Beyond the bite-sized bits of design material you’ll come across in your RSS feeder, there’s an incredibly rich world of knowledge that lives not in pixels, but in print. And if you’re itching to build up your personal library of design refere…
- 10 ways to keep clients coming back to you
Repeat business: it’s the lifeblood of the design industry. Here are our top tips on how to keep your clients smiling
- The illustrator’s guide to getting an agent
Lisa Hassell speaks to illustrators and agencies to discover exactly what is the role of the agent, and how to get the most out of them.
- Branding, Identity & Logo Design Explained
A logo is not your brand, nor is it your identity. Logo design, identity design and branding all have different roles, that together, form a perceived image for a business or product.
There has been some recent discussion on the web about t…
- The Definitive Guide to (Mostly) Free Images
They say nothing on the Internet is truly “free.” Even services like Gmail and Facebook come with a price—namely, your privacy (free with a string attached would be more accurate). It’s the same with “free” images from sites like Flickr and and…
- Mastering The Art Of Conversation: 7 Steps To Being Smooth
“In The Art of Conversation: A Guided Tour of a Neglected Pleasure, Catherine Blyth gives some great tips on handling the subtle nuances of polite interaction.
Here are seven of my favorite bits:”
- Buck Design Trends: Tips for Finding New Design Inspiration
“As a web designer today, you have literally hundreds of places to help spur your creativity. Websites dedicated to providing inspiration for web design work. List posts explaining what’s hot in the industry this year. And publications that sh…
- Creating an International Social Media Strategy that Works
“Social media now connects people across the globe. Facebook has more than 1 billion worldwide users, with 2013 figures from checkfacebook listing Brazil as the second largest country on the network. Meanwhile, Mexico and Egypt took the top two…
- Should Web Designers Take on Print Work?
When you live and breathe digital marketing, it’s easy to overlook the fact that traditional offline marketing was a $93.6 billion industry in 2012. Whereas the digital marketing industry trails slightly behind at $63 billion.
- The Ultimate Guide To Hiring And Managing Remote Workers
In fact, hundreds and thousands of businesses around the world hire remote workers on a regular basis, hence the reason that so many freelancing websites are currently thriving (we’ll talk about these later)
- Logo Thief – A Website that Curates Plagiarized Logo Design Cases
“The people behind Logo Thief, a website recently launched to name and shame the logo thieves want to stop this illegal acts. The blog keep track and documents various cases of logo design plagiarism and name people who rip-off the designs of o…
- Flat Design VS. Skeuomorphism [Infographic]
“It’s easy to get wrapped up in a trend and choose the option you think is most popular. But do you really know the drawbacks as well as the benefits of flat design? How about skeuomorphism?
We’ve put together this fun infographic to help you w…
- You Were Born to Sell: Dismantling the Myths of Self-Promotion
“Working hard at making something isn’t a guarantee of success. In fact, when you ship your project or work, your job has only just begun.”
- 50 Illustrator Tutorials That Will Leave You Looking Like A Pro
“This round-up brings you a selection of great Illustrator tutorials starting with the basics and ending with advanced projects. All the information you need to get to grips with this powerful software.”
- The One Thing That Truly Motivates Creative Talent–And How To Foster It
“Intrinsic motivation is the mojo that breathes life into curiosity and lifelong learning, into building new and better skills, into making individually defined talent level bloom into something of value to the whole. It pushes us to go beyond …
- Why Companies Are Terrible At Spotting Creative Ideas
“COGNITIVE BIASES CAN KEEP US FROM ASSESSING CREATIVITY WITH A CLEAR MIND. HERE’S HOW TO GET AROUND THEM.”
- The Importance & Impact of Color
“Josef Albers was an accomplished designer, typographer, photographer, painter and color theorist, who’s best known for revolutionizing the application of color. He created the ultimate learning tool with his book, Interaction of Color, first p…
- Eye Tracking 101: How Your Eyes Move on a Website
“Knowing how the viewers of your site really see it can help to shine light on new and/or missed opportunities within your current design. It may also bring out the need for new elements or changes.
- 21 Suggestions for a Successful Design Career
“1. Find the right place to gain as much experience as possible in the shortest amount of time. This may mean a small independent design studio, a large multinational or hopping jobs every 2 years depending on the available options you may have…
- A Business Model With No Goals — Instead of Planning How to Work, Just Work
“Goals are good, right? They can help you increase your sales, or shave a minute off your mile. We wouldn’t have world-class athletes or American Idol champions without goals. Yet I can’t seem to buy the hype.
Particularly in business, I don’t…
- 10 Psychological States You’ve Never Heard Of… and When You Experienced Them
“Everybody knows what you mean when you say you’re happy or sad. But what about all those emotional states you don’t have words for? Here are ten feelings you may have had, but never knew how to explain.”
- 10 Paradoxical Traits Of Creative People
“CREATIVE PEOPLE ARE HUMBLE AND PROUD. CREATIVE PEOPLE TEND TO BE BOTH EXTROVERTED AND INTROVERTED. CREATIVE PEOPLE ARE REBELLIOUS AND CONSERVATIVE. HOW CREATIVE ARE YOU?”
- How to work non-destructively in Photoshop
“Beside tons of available features Photoshop is simple best image editing software because offers some unique editing options: non-destructive adjustments, non-destructive filters, non-destructive cropping and non-destructive traditional techni…
- 3 Simple Reasons Why You Absolutely Need to Ask for a Deposit
“Next to drafting client agreements, getting a deposit from your clients is one of the most important things you’ll do as a freelance designer.
A lot of new graphic designers make the rookie mistake of being too timid to ask their clients for a…
- Personalize Lightroom to Improve Your Brand
“This article will show you various places where you can leverage your branding through the Lightroom interface and subsequent output. Though not designed as a how-to on each individual Lightroom operation it should give you an idea of what is …
- “Type:Rider” Is The Ultimate Video Game About Typography
“AVAILABLE NOW FOR IOS AND ANDROID, TYPE:RIDER--THE “FINAL FONTASY” OF VIDEO GAMES--ENCOURAGES PLAYERS TO LEARN ABOUT TYPE BY EXPLORING A WORLD OF FONTS, MARIO-STYLE.”
- Six Things Every Designer Should Know About Copyright
“The art & design world has been abuzz lately with copyright issues and, since we’ve been talking a lot here about original and authentic design, I thought it would be helpful to gather some good information about copyright straight from the pe…
- 10 Things You Need To Know About Dating A Designer
Well, we’ve discussed the benefits of dating a geek. But what’s life like when you’re dating a designer? They’re geeks as well, right?
- Can you grow from freelancer to studio owner?
“There may come a time you get too successful as a freelancer and must decide if you prefer sleep, money, or headaches. The step up to becoming a studio with more than one person can be a nightmare… or very rewarding. Not everyone can do it and…
- How to Raise Your Hourly Rate (Politely)
Creatives often struggle with how to raise their hourly rates assertively and politely. How do you go from $50/hour to $60/hour? Ramit Sethi explains his three-step formula for gradually increasing his hourly rate on his blog I Will Teach You T…
- Surviving as a Creative in a Corporate Environment
Andy Epstein offers tactics for thriving in an in-house design environment. He lays out a tongue-in-cheek list of ways for an in-house designer to get fired in the hopes that you’ll not try them.
- Interaction Design Best Practices
“But, the past and the future are not of consequence here. We’re going to briefly touch upon three best practices when it comes to interaction principles – right now.
- Why Designers Need Human Contact
“I’m guessing if you did a study on designers, the majority…would fall on [the introvert] side of the spectrum. It’s just in our nature to be more in our heads and less in our words. And with so much conversation being done online, we are poi…
- If I Were 22: 80+ Influencers Share Lessons from Their Youth
Each year for a few days in May, age gets to bestow its wisdom on youth and anyone who’s over 22 has advice for anyone who’s not. Youth may roll its eyes and shrug, that wisdom nonetheless lives on in a corner of the mind, often to be dissected…
- Are women better negotiators than men?
Earlier this week I came across an article in which it was suggested that women in the purchasing world are positioned to become the new influencers and deal-makers because they understand the importance of building relationships and collaborat…
- Positioning Yourself Competitively as a Freelancer
That being said even if you are starting out and have a limited understanding of the work you do there can be several different ways you can position yourself fitting your skill level. In this article we will present a few important things clie…
- Watermark Images Automatically When They’re Downloaded From Your WordPress Site
It applies watermark on new images as well as images already uploaded. By deactivating the plugin, the watermark will be removed on all images.
What makes this plugin a really powerful one, is that the watermark is placed on your images throug…
- 44 Color Scheme Tools for Picking the Perfect Print Palette
Since choosing color is such an important aspect of design, there’s no shame in seeking outside assistance. We’ve selected some of the best color scheme tools on the web to help you do everything from generating palettes to sampling a color from…
- Training Your Coworkers to Understand Design
If you’re like most in-house designers, you follow a waterfall process where project assets are generated and shared, moving from one person to another in a sequential order. Now it’s time to see about how agile methodologies can help you work s…
- The Makings Of A Great Logo: Six questions to ask yourself when designing a brand
Your company’s logo is the foundation of your business branding. It is probably the first interaction that you will have with your customers. An effective logo can establish the right tone and set the proper ethos. After years of crafting logos…
- Design Before Computers Ruled the Universe (Nostalgia for You Whipper Snapper Designers)
When I first went to art school, a required course was Paste Up and Mechanicals. It was print production techniques. It took a steady hand, good eye, and the use of very toxic solvents and razor sharp cutting tools. The teachers, as with any pr…
- Freelancers’ Questions: Is an estimate the same as a quote?
Freelancer’s Question: I normally give a price estimate to clients interested in the supply of my freelance services, but a new customer has insisted that I send them a quote. Is there much difference between an estimate and a quote? I really …
- How Much Should You Charge Graphic Design Clients?
One of the biggest questions graphic designers have is how much to charge their clients for their services. How do you charge for graphic design work? How do you determine your pricing? There are several things that you should consider when det…
- The Big Guide To Printing From Your iPhone or iPad
Wirelessly printing photos and documents straight from your iPhone and iPad can be as easy as sending someone a text message, using one of several built-in and third-party options.
Though paperless reading and sharing of documents is easy and a…
- You Don’t Own Your Logo (and Why You Think You Do): Why Copyright Transfer Matters
Payment Does Not Confer Automatic Copyright or Intellectual Property Ownership
So, this scenario may be extreme, after all, you have commissioned a logo – your brand identity – and what else are you going to do with your brand identify apart f…
- Design Principles: Visual Weight And Direction
Every element on a web page exerts a visual force that attracts the eye of the viewer. The greater the force, the more the eye is attracted. These forces also appear to act on other elements, imparting a visual direction to their potential move…
- Your brain craves infographics – and here are 13 visual reasons why
Enjoy this great infographic about infographics and see why visuals work so well for distributing information Datavis Infographics
- Double and Half, Freelancer Hourly Rate Math by Seth Godin
Successful freelancers need to charge at least double the hourly rate that they’d be happy earning doing full time work. (In many fields, it’s more like 4 or 5x). And they need to spend at least half their time getting… Freelance freelancing fr…
- InDesign CC Integration with InCopy CC
In this course Pariah Burke speaks to both Editorial and Design, addressing both sides of publishing to enable all creative personnel to forge and maintain a collaborative, productive, accountable integration using best-of-breed editorial and design to…
- 271 Years Before Pantone, an Artist Mixed and Described Every Color Imaginable in an 800-Page Book
Spanning nearly 800 completely handwritten (and painted) pages, Traité des couleurs servant à la peinture à l’eau, was probably the most comprehensive guide to paint and color of its time. According to Medieval book historian Erik Kw…
- InDesign CC EPUB Building on the Fundamentals
In this course you will go beyond creating text-only EPUBs. Pariah Burke will start off by helping you convert print book layouts to ebook, specifying story and imagery order through different means. Next you will learn how to format and include cover …
- Install New Creative Cloud Apps AND Keep Old Versions
How to update to Adobe Creative Cloud 2015 without uninstalling previous versions.
Keep reading Install New Creative Cloud Apps AND Keep Old Versions on Pariah Burke Publishing & Design Consulting & Training.
- Followup on Starred Mail Reminder Digest
If you use Google Apps Mail, as I do, or GMail, starring messages is a great way to mark them as important or for later followup. Get busy, however, and you could forget to about those starred messages. I created the…
- InDesign CC Creating Fixed-Layout eBooks
Join Pariah Burke as he shows you all the advantages of Fixed Layout EPUBS in InDesign. He will show you the best techniques for taking advantage of engaging elements such as animations, video, audio, and much more. Once you complete this course, you’l…
- Free Keyboard Shortcuts Cheatsheets for InDesign CC, Illustrator CC, and Photoshop CC
Free, printable, sharable cheatsheets of hotkey keyboard shortcuts for Adobe InDesign CC, Adobe Photoshop CC, and Adobe Illustrator CC for Mac and Windows for designers who want to be productive and proficient.
Keep reading Free Keyboard Shortcuts Chea…
- InDesign CC: Mastering Type with Pariah Burke
Text is as at the heart of nearly every InDesign project. Fitting, then, that InDesign is the world’s most advanced type-setting platform. With all the text setting, styling, and manipulation power present in InDesign, it’s entirely possible–indeed, PR…
- InDesign CC: Publish Online Video Training by Pariah Burke
Use InDesign Publish Online for publication distribution or to send proofs, sketches, and iterations of documents to clients for review and approval. InDesign Layout epub selfpub
- InDesign CC: Publish Online
Pariah Burke teaches you how to use Publish Online, a distribution medium for InDesign documents for client proofing or widespread distribution. Publish Online operates from within InDesign but with a web component that makes your chosen documents view…
- A web standards holiday card from Typekit
- Typography for the Aging Eye
“Here are some guidelines for setting typography targeted towards the aging eye and those with some degree of visual impairment. NOTE: If designing for readers with more specific visual impairments or limitations, be sure to do your research as…
- How to properly pronounce the names of typefaces (via MP3s)
Ralf Herrmann, a German designer and typophile, has compiled a helpful list of MP3s which let you hear how to properly say the fonts you use every day.
- Logopedia – A Wiki for Logos and Corporate Branding
Logopedia is a collaborative database for logos and corporate branding. It includes the history of successful company logos, popular branding, and more.
- Here’s how to get new Dynamic Desktop wallpapers for Mojave
- EXPIRES IN 9 DAYS – Quark Teams Up with Fontsmith to Provide $1500 Worth of Fonts for Free
- Unless Designers Intercede, Augmented Reality Could Become the Super Creepy Dating Tool of Tomorrow
“How could designers intervene, helping us meet, greet, and potentially fall in love with a little bit less of a 10 out of 10 predatory vibe? Let’s consider some possibilities around that moment in the video where the two future lovers meet:”